Post a message

adult bi-polar sister

Author: Anonymous (Shasta County)
Posted: 06/23/2014 @ 3:52 pm
I have a 51 year old sister who has had a long history of drug/alcohol abuse and is diagnosed as bi-polar. She has not be taking her meds for quite some time and has been drinking heavily and now admits to now being back on drugs. She has become more delusional and paranoid as of late. My mother had an adult check done on her but she pulled herself together enough to look ok and, when asked if she wanted help, she said no. A neighbor found her a couple of days ago outside her apartment in the fetal position having a panic attack. 911 was called and they took her to the emergency room. She was released hours later and sent home in a cab. My mother is 86 years old and has health problems of her own. I live in Sacramento County and would like to help, but not sure what to do. Is there anything we can do to "coerce" her into getting help and what is the best kind of treatment? A couple of days in county mental health just isn't enough. Thank you so much to anyone who can give us some advice.
Author: Alex ( Social Network of Care )
Posted: 06/25/2014 @ 10:37 pm


Thank you for contacting the Network of Care. I am sorry to hear of the problems your sister is having. I would recommend contacting the National Alliance on Mental Illness of Sacramento, who will be able to provide you with avenues of support. You can reach them at (916) 364-1642 or find more information on their website at If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to contact us again.


Alex Halpern
Content Manager, Network of Care